As we are half way through the year and competitions are fast approaching, I wanted to write about the most important person in the world “YOU”. What I mean by this is; we all want new skills, whether it’s tumbling or stunting, better jumps or to dance better.
In order to gain these skills you have to make sure you are doing it for the right reasons and those reason need to be for YOU, because YOU want it. If you get caught up doing things for the team, or because of your coach, parents or friends have told you to, you will find it hard trying to get motivated and this will lead to frustration, jealousy and negativity. These 3 things will be the biggest reason you struggle to gain new skills and perfect old ones.
But in order to start thinking about YOU, you have to challenge and go against one of the many politically correct statements we are fed as children and adults; “there is no ‘I’ in team” and figuratively this may be true, but if you think about it, what makes up a team, individuals, which funnily enough starts with ‘I’. In order for you to make your team great, you need to make yourself great first. That starts by understanding that focusing on YOU is not selfish and is not going to hurt the team. It’s actually one of the most unselfish things you can possibly do and will in the long run make your team better.
Here are some quick points:
- It is not up to your coach to force you to work hard at each training session. You turn up and you should do so willing to apply yourself 120%, because YOU want to get better, not because you think you have to.
- It is not up to your parents to make sure you practice at home. YOU should want to practice as much as you possibly can in order to make yourself the best you can be.
- YOU should never do, or try something to please someone else. You should do it because deep down, you have a desire to be the best you can be.
- YOU should never use other people’s abilities to score your own. This just leads to failure, jealousy and frustration. You should only ever compare yourself to your own scale.
- With competitions not too far away, it is Important to get into the right mental state and do things for the right reasons, because YOU want to.
Good luck to everyone and remember, this year is all about YOU!!
This article was provided by Daniel Dunn from Next Level Cheer. Next Level Cheer offers a wide variety of skill clinics and choreography services for more information please email email@example.com.